Friday, March 20, 2009

March Madness!

I recently posted a comment on a friend's blog about her oh-so-scientific method to filling out her March Madness brackets, where I listed my own method for choosing teams. Thinking that my rules may be beneficial to the rest of my blogging universe, I have decided to post my methods here as well. Here are my rules:

1. I always pick Mizzou to win the whole thing (assuming they are in it). I figure there is power in believing and maybe the team will feel my positive vibes. It’s a little like Seabiscuit some years, I’ll admit it.

2. I always choose #1 seeds to win in the first round (this is only because Brian told me a #1 seed has NEVER lost in the first round). This is a new rule as of this year... because Brian just informed me of that fact a few days ago. But if a #1 seeded school plays Mizzou, this rule is null and void.

3. I support the states I have lived in.

4. I go with whatever state I would rather live in. This method is by weather, not by cost of living. I may not be able to afford to live in LA, but you can't pass up that reliable sunshine. UCLA it is!

5. I support the schools I have ties to. Now that I'm at Texas A&M (and Brian teaches there) I have them going all the way up until they play Mizzou (who wins, of course). If ECU were in it, they would go far. I'm told by my brother that in the future I will have to support Boise State, too, because he goes there. This is getting tough! It's all about prioritizing, I guess.

6. Sometimes I pick teams because I like their names. For example, I picked Siena to go pretty far this year because I think it's a pretty girl's name. Gonzaga always goes pretty far because it's just fun to say... Gon-ZA-GA!

7. Every once in awhile I’ll pick a team that I just know is always good, regardless of the weather of that state. That’s when I feel like I might actually know a thing or two about basketball… until they lose and I’m like, “MAN! I KNEW I should have picked Siena! Their name is so much prettier!”

The last time I checked I was tied for first place in our little family poll. I always manage to do really well in the first round… and then fail miserably after that. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

monica said...

I was cracking up last night reading your methods in my comments! I hope you do well past the first round this year!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your methods. They make TOTAL sense to me. But I would pick MSU where you pick Mizzou.

Sandy K. said...

Okay...so at first I thought Brian had made a total convert of you. But then I started reading:). You cracked me up, and since it's snowing and cold today I was in desparate need of a laugh. THANK YOU, and good luck with your picks. I might want to try it myself!

Gordon said...

Good luck on winning! I had forgotten all about March Madness.

Liza Jane said...

That's fabulous! I'd totally do something similar, if I ever picked teams.

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !