Saturday, December 14, 2013

Chase's "Lava-ly" Birthday Party

 

Chase had his big birthday party tonight, so of course I had to do my motherly duty and make his birthday cake. If you are unfamiliar with my creative baking moments (the good, the bad, and the ugly!), I have created a new category to the right named "Kitchen Adventures."  Those who know me well know I'm not all that comfortable in the kitchen, but I feel like it's my motherly duty to make my kids' cakes every year. Sometimes they turn out cute, sometimes they are disastrous. But the point is I TRY.

This year I thought I had it IN THE BAG.  He chose dinosaurs for his party theme.  I tried to find some cute dinosaur cakes/cupcakes but I just didn't see anything I liked.  Then I found A VOLCANO CAKE!  It looked totally doable so I gave it a shot.  Got up first thing this morning to decorate it and I was so pleased:


Chase really loved it and I was feeling like mom of the year.  Then we cleaned up the kitchen, got ready and headed out to get hair cuts and run to HEB to buy the final, finishing touch for the cake (which was a big secret from Chase).  When we got home we had just enough time to have dinner before heading to the party.  I preheated the oven, unpacked the groceries, and started playing with the "secret ingredient" for the cake.  That got me thinking, "Huh... where is the cake?"  Then I heard it.  Beeeeeep!!

The oven.  Hot and ready for our frozen pizza at 425 degrees.

That's where I put the cake.

Inside the oven.


The kids came running downstairs because apparently I was screaming, "No no no no no NO NO NOOOO!!!!" They found me bent over in the middle of the kitchen, hands clenching my hair and forehead to my knees.  Chase looked at me, then looked at the cake, then looked at me and said, "Uhhhhhh....  Mom?"  I assured him I would fix it, called my mom for a little freak-out session and then went to work.

I put it in the fridge to cool and then I had about 30 minutes to fix it and get the kids fed and ready and out the door.  They ate at the kitchen counter and supported me in my mission while I worked.  Chase was so sweet.  We have been working on being more positive these days, and he kept saying, "You can fix it, Mom!  I know you can because I am positive!"  When I got done I meekly asked him, "Is it OK, Chase?" and he said, "Mom, it's perfect."

Sweet boy.


He had a ton of fun at the party with his friends...


...and the finishing touch was a hit!



Can't tell?  Maybe this video will help:


Yes, that's Chase in the background screaming, "My cake's on fire!  My cake's on fire!"

His actual birthday is Monday and we'll do a little dinner party then.  Photos of today's party are in our Photo Album if you're interested.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! I'd totally curl up on the floor and cry, too! You did great saving it though! the end result still looked great!

Was it dry ice in the middle?

Christine said...

Yes ma'am! :) Thank you!

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !