Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Ultimate Mommy Test!

So Chase's first birthday is Sunday. I decided I was going to make a cake instead of just buying one from the store because, hey... that's what my mom always did and it just seemed like cheating to buy one on my way home from work Friday.

My original plan was nothing fancy, just bake a cake (from a box, I might add). Then Brian said, "you should at least make it in the shape of something." And I thought, hey... that can't be hard. I mean, you just dump the cake mix into the shaped pan and VOILA! Right?

So off we went to Hobby Lobby to find a cake pan. There were lots of choices, but it became clear pretty quickly that unless you did some decorating it was going to be hard to tell what the shapes were. So I took a deep breath, chose what seemed like a relatively easy lion, and bought all the icings and fancy tips I needed.

The thing is, boys and girls, I don't cook. I have a handful of easy (and I stress EASY) recipes I can pull out if I absolutely have to, but I'm not exactly handy in that department. It takes me forever to make something because I am literally lost in the kitchen. "Where are the measuring spoons?" "How much is a dash?" "I thought vanilla was a scent.... You can put it in food?!?"

So I have decided this cake will be my ultimate mommy test. If I can pull this off (with the lion looking relatively alive and happy when it's all over and done with), I can call myself a supermom. If I fail miserably I may just have to hand Chase over to Brian and pray he turns out OK.

Wish me luck!

P.S. 14 days til Christmas!

P.P.S. I must be nuts trying to bake my first ever fancy lion birthday cake sometime in the next 14 days before Christmas. Like I have nothing else to do than wander aimlessly around my kitchen for the 5 hours it's going to take me to accomplish this task!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! I felt silly 'buying' a cake this year...but figured I'd save the 'making a cake' for when they are older and can appreciate what that means. You better share pictures of the end product!

Brian and Becky said...

Be brave! Don't let the lion get the best of you!

I cheated too this year, but I couldn't handle making a cake and all the prep work I had to do to host a house full of people!

Someday I hope to! Hopefully you will be able to give some tips by then!

Anonymous said...

I have made both of Noel's cakes. The first year, I just used a cake mix and decorator's frosting to make a 4 layered 2 tiered princess cake topped with a "glass slipper". She was REALLY into shoes that first year, but it was hard to find a pan the shape of a shoe, so I improvised. This year I did an ELMO cake, which was much easier cuz it looked more like ELMO just using a spatula to create the fur as opposed to a special tip. (I must admit, Stacey Wise was the one to fluff his furry frosting.) I used a simple cake recipe from the cake mix doctor cookbook, where you add things to a cake mix box to make it taste better. You might be able to find some recipes for the mix you already purchased online. But you are sooo artsy, (I saw the pumpkins you carved for Halloween.) I KNOW you can pull of a lion.

It may sound like I'm bragging here, but this is the only thing I can do, so I REALLY do it. And I will brag about it. Do to the fact there's nothing else for me to brag about. I LOVE having her birthday parties. We have had a housefull of people both times. The first year was insanely crazy. I don't have a clue how many people there were, it seemed like a hundred, this year we toned it down a bit and only invited family.

So, anyways, I KNOW you can do it. It's fun, and then you can post the cake on your blog and say, "Look what I did." It's my very first cake EVER. YAY!

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !