Sunday, January 18, 2009

Big Boy

We have been very productive this weekend. We pulled most all of Chase's toys out of his room and finally transformed our previously empty game room into a playroom for him, while also putting some seating in there for us. With all the toys out of the bedroom we finally felt confident enough to convert his crib into a daybed.

Last night was his first night in his "big boy bed" and he did great. I wasn't sure how it was going to go (actually, I was sure keeping him in bed would be quite the challenge). Much to my surprise he went right to sleep... no problems whatsoever.

Around 10:30 Chase started crying, which is unusual for him. When he didn't get over it right away I went upstairs to check on him. There he was, sitting pathetically on the floor. When I came in he stood up and reached for me. I just said, "Chase, can you get back into bed?" and he climbed right up, hugged his blanket and plopped face down on the mattress, butt up in the air. I don't know how he ended up on the floor but I didn't hear a thunk so I don't think it was a traumatic fall or anything!

I thought for sure nap time today would be a greater test, because he does not like to go down for naps. But he surprised me again by climbing right into bed on his own and curling up with his blanket. I had no idea it would be so easy to make this transition (*knock on wood*)! I was dreading it for nothing!

I do have to say it was a little sad to stand at his bedroom door and see him staring back at me without the "baby crib" bars there. He's becoming a little kid vs. a little baby and it's a little sad... but exciting at the same time. My baby is growing up! *sniff* *sniff*

2 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

I found Isaac converted to his "big boy bed" (at 17 months) surprisingly well.

Tho, at 2 years, 3 months...he has discovered getting out of bed at bedtime is...shall we say, a game?

Jaybird and Me said...

I'm already starting to worry about this transition (even though James loves his sleep). Glad it went well for you!

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !