Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Totally Awkward Tuesday: Dream Car

I almost forgot about Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday this week, until I passed a Ford Contour on my way home from work today and remembered this totally awkward story!

I got my first car in 1998, at the age of 21. My parents very generously offered to buy one for me. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get anything fancy, but I was at odds with my parents because I wanted something cute and impractical, while they wanted to buy me something practical and butt-ugly.

In 19 years I am going to look back on this blog post and laugh, because I'm sure I will be pushing the butt-ugly car, too.

Anyway, we did a lot (I mean a LOT) of searching that summer and we just couldn't find a car we could agree on. I made it my personal mission to find my perfect car... one my parents could agree on, too. My brother and I would drive around the area in pursuit and one day we drove by this lot with my dream (well, as high as I was financially allowed to dream) car parked out front... a 1995 green Ford Contour:

The office was closed but we got out to inspect the car and the doors were open! So we got in, checked it out and I left the lot totally smitten.

I went home and gushed about the car to my parents. When I told them where I found it they were skeptical, as they had never heard of the place before. I think my dad had to work or something the next day so my mom went with me to check out the car. When we got there my mom had this, "I'm not so sure about this" look on her face. Looking back on it, I know why.

This "dealership" was a shed on a dirt lot with 3 used cars parked out front.

But my mom was a sport. She humored me, with a hint of that very cautious and very skeptical look on her face the whole time. So we walked into the "dealership" (shed) and talked to the guy about the car. He gave us the keys and told us to take it for a test drive (*insert giddy shriek here*)!!

I was bound and determined to prove to my mom that this was a trustworthy place and it was a great car. We got in, fastened our seatbelts and I started going on and on about how cute it was, while pointing out the practical perks: "Look, mom! It has a tape deck! And it's a V6, so Dad will love it!" My mom kept saying, "I don't know, honey. I'm not sure I trust this lot. How do we know what kind of shape this car is in?" I rolled my eyes (Ugh, parents!) and put the key in the ignition with a big stupid grin on my face. I turned they key, and...

Nothing.

Oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap!
I pulled on the key and...

The entire ignition came out with it.

Ummmmmmmmm....

Awkward! Awkward! Awkward!
I stared at the ignition in my hand, totally speechless, then looked up at my mom... who was staring at me like, "Are you serious?!?"

Seriously, folks. There is no way to recover from that. We walked in silence back to the dealership office (er, shed). My mom was classy enough not to start laughing, while I stuck my tail between my legs and moped back inside.

Well, they did fix the car and I got to test drive it a few days later. I was still in love with it (Hey, love is blind!). My parents hemmed and hawed and cautioned me, etc., but in the end it was mine.

(I think they were just ready to be done hearing me whine about wanting a Geo while they pushed for the Buicks that they just gave up.)

I am not kidding when I say I am sure I (OK, we) spent about double what the car was worth in repairs over the next 6 years. That thing was ALWAYS in the shop and it was ALWAYS really expensive to fix.

Sorry, Mom and Dad! Love you!

1 comment:

Sandy K. said...

The car had it's high points - it got you back and forth to school (except the one time I'm sure you'll write about some Tuesday). The "dealership" fixed the couple of obvious problems. Dad found something positive about the "dealership," and the car, or you wouldn't have gotten it. And yes, it was a good compromise to get you to be quiet:). Some lessons just have to come through experience -eh? Love you..and you're welcome.

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !