Monday, January 18, 2010

Conversations With a 3-Year-Old: Shut Up!

I'm in trouble. Over Christmas break I heard Chase saying, "shut up" over and over while playing by himself. I said, "Chase, we don't say 'shut up.' It isn't nice." I wasn't quite sure where he had gotten that. Then I figured it out.

It's me.

I say "shut up" a lot, apparently. Not as in "be quiet" but as in "no WAY!" Like:

Friend: Did you hear So-and-So got a nose job?
Me: Shut UP!
Friend: It's true!

Well, now I'm in trouble. Because every time Brian says something to me and I respond with, "Shut up!" I hear, "Mommy, don't say 'shut up.' That's not nice. You need to go to time out." My favorite was when I was talking to Brian on the phone in the car and Chase said from the backseat, "Mommy, if I hear you say 'shut up' one more time, I'm going to have to put you in time out!"

I have been to time out more than Chase has in the past couple weeks.

1 comment:

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !