Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Conversations With a 3-Year-Old: Baby Mine

Tonight after I sang Chase his bedtime songs we laid there for a minute and when I was about to leave he wanted to sing more, so I suggested he sing a song to the baby. I wasn't sure he would go for it, but he embraced the opportunity. He sat up in bed, looked directly at my belly, leaned in and said, "Baby, what song do you want me to sing?" I told him to pick his favorite song and he chose "Hush Little Baby." He proceeded to sing the entire song to my stomach by himself, stopping a few times along the way to look at me for a line prompt. When he was done he said, "Baby, what song do you want me to sing next?" I thought it was so sweet he wanted to keep singing so I told him to pick another one he thought the baby might like. He chose "Shine On Harvest Moon," and much to my surprise he knew all the words to the entire song! I thought that would be it, but nooooo.... My boy was just getting warmed up! "Baby, what song do you want me to sing next?" I told him to pick one more of his favorite songs and he chose "Baby Mine." That one is a bit tougher.

Side story: If you don't know the song, Bette Midler sang it in "Beaches" and I specifically learned the song before Chase was born because I have always thought it was a beautiful one and that it would make a great lullaby. Unfortunately after Chase was born he SCREAMED every time I started singing it, which totally broke my heart. So I am thrilled that he finally likes it. ANYWAY... back to the story.

So he started "Baby Mine," but like I said, it's a bit more complicated than the others and he was having some issues with lyrics. So I decided to help him out along the way by singing the first few words of a phrase to prompt him. My mistake!

"Mommy, no! I'm singing the song to the baby. Don't sing with me!"

I did as I was told and when he was done he leaned in and said, "Baby, did you love the songs?" I whispered a "yes" and his eyes got really big and his face just lit up with the biggest grin. He then gave my belly a kiss and told the baby goodnight.

Talk about a tear-jerker! I love this little boy! He's going to be a fabulous big brother.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so amazingly sweet! I love that song, too (& that movie!). I can just imagine Chase's reaction to the 'yes' he heard...so sweet!

Sandy K. said...

Remember these moments when you have those "crazy" moments when you wonder why you had kids:). The good ones WAY out weigh the bad ones. He's a sweet-heart. By the way...the tears came easily as I read your post.

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !