Sunday, June 27, 2010

Conversations With a 3-Year-Old: Mr. Princess

I just have to comment on some of my son's recent "daughter-y" habits. It's like he's training me for life with a girl!

Chase's favorite color right now is pink. Ask him what color he wants of anything and he wants pink. No problem! But then we went to Wal-Mart to get him a new toothbrush. I suggested a battery-powered one to make teeth brushing more fun.

Me: What about the Thomas one? Ooh, or Diego?
Chase: Ooh, I want that one!
Me: Which one?
Chase: The pink one!

The pink one was Hello, Kitty. Now, I was going to get it for him. I sighed, but I would have gotten it for him. Luckily for Brian he saw Spiderman right before we pulled the cart out of the aisle and he decided he needed that one instead.

A couple days later as I was drying my hair he decided he wanted to play with my barrettes. No problem. He's into stuff. He's 3! But then he wanted to put them in my hair. So of course I let him. But when he was done I said I had to take them out and he was not happy about it. So we compromised and he said I could take a picture of it so I could remember his work fondly (this is an aerial view):


A couple days later we were at Target and I decided it would be fun for him to have his own hospital bag with some activities, etc. to entertain him when the baby comes and my mom brings him to the hospital. We talked about how Mommy and the baby have a hospital bag, and now he will have one, too! He was all excited and we headed to the backpacks so he could pick one out.

Me: Ooh, what about Thomas? Or Diego?
Chase: I want that one!
Me: Which one?
Chase: The princess one!


I couldn't do it. I wanted to. I wanted to let him be who he was and express himself however he wanted to, but the image of him carrying around a Princess backpack was too much. I steered him toward the Diego one (because it rolled and that is way cooler!) and Brian thanked me when we got home.

No comments:

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !