Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Conversations With a 3-Year-Old: Singin' Fool

This isn't really a conversation, it's a song.  But whatever....  Here it is!

I sing to Chase pretty much every night.  I just find it funny that his favorites songs to sing himself are quite feminine.  For example, he likes "Shine On Harvest Moon," which is a pretty gender-neutral song until the very end.  I sing the last line, "So shine on, shine on harvest moon..." and then he jumps in enthusiastically for the last part: "for me and my guy!"

Well lately Chase has gotten a little bored with the same old songs, so he is always asking for new ones.  I'm starting to run out of songs!  So I will occasionally whip out whatever musical theatre song jumps into my head at that moment.  One night I chose the song "Oh Diogenes," which is a song I had to learn for my Musical Theatre class in college.  This one he loves and he will sing it with me in its entirety... at the top of his lungs... with as much gusto as he can possibly muster:

Oh, Diogenes, find a man who's honest.
Oh, Diogenes, wrap him up for me!
Oh, Diogenes, find a man who's solid, stolid.
Hook that fish, if he's in the sea!

Hunt him, trail him, catch him, nail him if he is free!
Have you got your stick?  Have you got your lantern?
Can you do that trick and produce him, please?
Catch that fellow, ring that bell
Oh, Diogenes!

It makes me laugh every time!

No comments:

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !