Friday, October 17, 2008

Monsters

Chase had a weird night earlier this week. I put him down as usual and then about an hour later he woke up screaming bloody murder. I ran up there and he stood up and reached up for me. I wrapped him up in his blanket and rocked him awhile like he was a little baby again, and when I put him down again he freaked. I walked out (because a lot of times he'll stop when I close the door) but he just kept on screaming. I went back in there after a little while and tried to get him to lay down while I sat by his bed but he wasn't having any of it. I rocked him some more, hoping I could get him to fall asleep, but it became obvious that wasn't going to happen so finally I just put him down and walked away. He screamed for awhile (while I cried!) but finally went to sleep.

It was so bizarre. He just never does that. We weren't sure what was up but the next night I said, "Ready to go upstairs?" and he clung to my legs and just howled. Then he turned around, pointed up the stairs and said, "Monsters."

Monsters? He's old enough to be afraid of monsters?? The only thing we could think of was he had a really scary dream and he's too little know it was just a dream and not real. Brian said he used to have this really scary recurring dream of a monster just standing over his bed. Maybe it was something like that. But I feel so horrible that I can't make him understand it wasn't real, or try to explain it to him or anything like that. Poor guy! He has had a really hard time going to bed every night this week. Luckily he gets over it pretty quickly when I leave, but it's a horrible change from being able to put him down and kiss him goodnight while he smiles up at me.

I hate it! Monsters, go away!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no!! Poor Chase. How sad. Wow though...that he knows what a 'monster' is already. Think it has anything to do with Halloween coming up? Has he seen scary costumes, decorations or something like that??

I'm not sure how our two will do at Halloween. They are hesitant to put on their costumes, despite the fact that they are of their favorite characters. Plus...we had a scary encounter last night at Red Robin (just posted about it). I'm worried he'll be afraid of all costumes!

Hope you get some rest and he is able to put it behind him!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little guy! I hope he forgets all about it before too long.

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !