Friday, June 12, 2009

Open Doors

Well, he finally figured it out. Chase can open doors on his own now. And that's all fine... except when it comes to bed time. Keeping him in his room was beginning to be a challenge. So I asked my mom what she used to do with us and she said to just pick him up... no eye contact, no communication whatsoever... and carry him back to bed. She said eventually he would get tired of it. So we tried that last night. Three times was all it took. I looked at Brian and said, "I can't believe it was that easy!"

I spoke too soon.

At midnight something startled me awake and I heard a HOWL in my ear. I opened my eyes and Chase was staring me right in the face, screaming. Talk about a scene from a horror movie! I can honestly say it may have been the most freaked out I have ever felt.

Wait, scratch that. It doesn't beat the time an unexpected, uninvited guest decided it would be a good idea to scratch on my bedroom window in the middle of the night in high school. But I digress.

Anyway, I swear all my hair stood up on end. I carried him back up to bed but after that I couldn't sleep. Every little sound I heard made me jump.

Chase came back downstairs every half hour from midnight to 2:30am.

God help me if I have to do that again tonight. I have already put him back in bed seven times. I am getting quite the workout walking up and down the stairs! The last time I started making him hike the stairs instead of carrying him. Maybe all that work will make him think twice the next time he wants to sneak out!

Oh, lord.... There's the squeak of his door again. This makes eight!

OK, I just returned and I didn't even get my butt in the chair again before I heard the door creak. Nine! Let's make a contest out of my misery. How many times will Brian and I take Chase back to bed tonight? I will report back tomorrow. The winner gets.... I don't know.... The satisfaction of knowing they are probably sleeping better than we are.

Ten!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wait, this bedtime stuff continues? And here I thought we were almost out of the woods as Jack sleeps through the night about 75% of the time now. I guess I just have this to look forward to? Makes you wonder if we should celebrate their progress or mourn it!

Christine said...

No kidding! Brian and I say all the time that as soon as we're out of the woods on one thing, there's another. :)

Sandy K. said...

And the life of your little family continues...I will not tell you how long you will worry, be afraid, be angry and annoyed...and be overjoyed. Relish every day, believe it or not:).

janet said...

This post made me laugh so hard I almost cried...then I cried again, realizing that this is what i have to look forward too!

miss you :)

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !