Saturday, May 7, 2011

Conversations with a 4-Year-Old: Yes, Ma'am

Chase has started calling me "Ma'am" when I talk to him seriously about his behavior. I HATE IT. I know it's the culture down here but I really don't like it. The first time he did it I said, "You don't have to call me 'Ma'am,' Chase. Just call me 'Mom.'" He said he has to because that's what they do at daycare. I didn't really fight him on it at the time because I didn't want him to be confused about it and I wasn't sure how to handle it.

Then today he was sent to time out and after he got out we had a talk about his behavior and I asked him if he understood me. He said, "Yes, ma'am." Here's the conversation that followed:

ME: Chase, please don't call me "Ma'am."
CHASE: I can if I want to.
ME: But I don't like it. Just call me "Mom."
CHASE: I can call you "Ma'am" if I want to.
ME: OK, then I'll start calling you "Sir."
CHASE: No, don't call me "Sir." I don't like it.
ME: OK, let's make a deal. I won't call you "Sir" if you don't call me "Ma'am."
CHASE: Yes, Ma'am. (*insert eye twinkle here*)

OK, I have to give him credit. That was excellent comedy!

This is my second post today.  Check out the previous post if you haven't already!

No comments:

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !