Monday, March 3, 2008

Birthday Bash in Alma

Chase and I drove to Alma this weekend to celebrate the birthdays of my Dad, my step-brother Kory, my step-sister Kim and my step-niece Courtney. Brian couldn't join us because he had to work at NIU. Kory's entire family was sick (ugh, it seems like EVERYONE is these days!) so we didn't get to see them, but the weekend was fun nonetheless. Chase LOVED playing catch with his cousin Kailey!

In addition to the party we went to the little Alma airport and Chase got to see a helicopter land right in front of him! He thought that was pretty cool. He also got a new toy from Grandma... a drum (everything in the house was a drum to him, anyway, so we thought we'd give him the "real thing" to pound on)!

Sunday we went to church where Chase had fun in the nursery, despite a mildly traumatic choking incident with an animal cracker (I'm so glad I wasn't there for that). After lunch with Grandpa at The Main Cafe (as is tradition), we headed back home.

On the way home Chase was getting antsy in the backseat so I stopped at a McDonalds playland. In the past we have done this on long drives and just let him crawl around on the mat with some toys to get some energy out and stretch a bit and it has worked great. This time I found out it is no longer a brilliant idea.

Chase discovered stairs. You may remember our heart attack post when he miraculously crawled upstairs all by himself without our knowledge. Well this weekend at my parents he decided it is his new favorite thing to do and we could not keep him away from them! So when I sat him down on the McDonalds playland floor he TOOK OFF and climbed the steps into the playland tunnels. Oh my lord. I pulled him away from the tunnel time after time after time until it started getting crowded and I got worried he was going to be trampled to death, at which point he got really mad at me for making him leave.

So the rule is a child has to be 3 years old to climb in the playland. Any bright ideas of what I can do on road trips for the next 21 months?!? Since he isn't walking yet and it's winter, it's not like I can let him run around a rest area. I need ideas!!!!

Some photos of our weekend are in our Photo Album. I only took a few so the album right now is pretty skinny, but as soon as I get the photos my mom took I'll add those as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea they had to be 3 to climb in the playland. We don't have playlands up here, so I've never had the problem.
I don't have as long of road trips as you do, but I always tried to travel during naptimes. Other than that, I don't have any other ideas. You could always resort to a dvd player in the car. I haven't wanted to do that but I know a few people who've used them. And they say it makes travelling easier. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Your story makes me certain I won't attempt that with my TWO! haha! We most often travel at nap/bed time, too. Makes a long evening for us, but much smoother ride, if we can swing it.

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !