Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Totally Awkward Tuesday: The Escape Plan

Once again I am participating in The Secret Life of Tova Darling's "Totally Awkward Tuesday." Today's story also features my BFF Holly in another one of our middle school adventures (I have a feeling you're going to see her name on a lot of Tuesday posts)!

Holly and I were good girls who so longed to be bad. We had sleepovers at each other's houses every weekend and we got it into our heads that it would be fun to sneak out once. Ooh, we were so bad... but not so spur-of-the-moment! We decided we should practice first, before doing it "for real." The best criminals have well laid out plans beforehand, right? Right.

Holly lived in the country and I lived in town, so we used to walk to my house together after school and wait for maybe an hour or so until my mom got home from work. That hour gave us the perfect opportunity to practice our escape!

The biggest hurdle in sneaking out of my house was that my bedroom windows were high up on the wall, close to the ceiling. So we had to climb up on my bed to get out of them. I went first. I climbed out the window like a pro, but then discovered while hanging from the ledge that the ground was a lot further away than I had anticipated. I was too chicken to jump. So there I was, hanging by my hands from the window ledge, and Holly was standing on my bed, hanging her head out of the window above me. Got that image in your head? OK. Keep it there!

Our conversation went something like this:

Holly: Christine, just jump!
Christine: (starting to panic) I can't! It's too far!
Holly: No it's not, just jump!
Christine: (screaming) No way! I'll break my legs!
Holly: Omigod, just let go!
Christine: (screaming in terror) I can't! Help me up!
Holly: There's no way I can pull you back in! Just jump!
Christine: (screaming hysterically) Omigod, I'm seriously going to die! I don't want to die this way! I'm not ready to go! I still have so much to do on this earth!

Yeah, I was a tad dramatic in those days. (OK, I still am.)

Anyway, around this time I just happened to turn my head, and there stood our English student teacher, stopped dead in her tracks on her walk home. She looked at us like we were totally insane, and Holly and I just stared back at her, totally frozen with "What? We're not doing anything bad..." looks pasted on our faces. After what seemed like a lifetime she just turned and kept walking (back to her dorm, where I'm sure she told her roommate another one of her "you'll never guess what I saw from my middle schoolers today" stories).

Holly and I burst into hysterical laughter and I eventually let go. Turns out the ground really wasn't that far away and I did survive the fall.

At the time I thought, "Why didn't she help us?!?" But I'm sure she noticed my feet were just inches from the ground, and bless her heart... she probably didn't want to embarrass us further. What a good teacher, to let us learn that lesson on our own!

(We never did sneak out, by the way... though we continued to practice other methods!)

8 comments:

Sandy K. said...

Okay...I laughed through the whole thing the first time, then Dad asked me to read it aloud and I could barely make it through the read-aloud. I remember you telling me this, but your story gets funnier each time. I can't wait to hear what Holly has to say about this one:

Holly: Omigod....How many stories do you have, anyway?!

Love ya both - Mom

Ebony said...

That is too cute and too funny!

Holly Nelson said...

Christine! You gotta give a girl warning. I got my wisdom teeth out today only to come home and have to read this without laughing since the stitches in my mouth do not allow my mouth to open far enough.

Sandy, did you notice that I was the smart one who talked Christine into going out the window first? And by the time we got "caught" by the student teacher I believe I was outside talking at Christine's butt telling her she only had about a 3 foot drop. I think I had even found something she could use as a stool or something.

A TAD dramatic? Just a TAD? Seriously?

Christine said...

Ha ha ha! I had totally forgotten how you tried to save my life by getting a stool.

Holly, I seriously think all of our stories will make me laugh out loud even when I am on my death bed. They never lose their funny!

Holly Nelson said...

I will be there on your death bed even if I have to travel through time to retell these stories and laugh with you all over again.

A-hem.... "there's no beard on this hunk"

Christine said...

OMG, I literally just snorted so loud that Brian had to ask me what was so gosh darn funny! I haven't thought about that in SO LONG. I am still laughing about it out loud as I type! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Anyway, can't wait for you to travel through time to laugh with me in 60 years or so!! Love ya, Ho!

Sandy K. said...

Seriously? "There's no beard on this hunk?" I need this story...I think.

Holly - I think I remember the stool part, actually - and YES, you tried to be that voice of reason. Chris really DID need that. Drama? OMG! You've heard the Chase stories, right? HEE, HEE, HEE! A mother's pay back just waiting to happen! (

Gertrude Groggins - said...

Classic! Thanks for the laugh!

Our Blog Has Moved!

Check us out at  3c-family.com !